Thursday 19 September 2013

Was It Love At First Sight? #CharacterInterview

Join me as I interview Selina Moss, the heroine from SCARS. I've been invited to the couple's penthouse apartment in Chelsea, London overlooking the River Thames.

"That view is breathtaking," I say before sitting on the soft cream leather sofa. I try not to sink into its alluring luxury. "Thank you for agreeing to the interview."

"You're welcome," Selina replies and sits on the sofa opposite me. She is gorgeous, her lovely chocolate skin emphasised in a short white dress, one long leg crossed over the other making me notice her feet in strappy high-heeled sandals and silver painted toe nails. Leaning forward, she has a conspiratorial glint in her wide brown eyes.

"To be honest when you requested the interview, I was going to turn it down," she says in a low voice. "There are things I'd rather not share publicly, you know."

Her shoulders lift in a shrug. "But Benjamin convinced me to do it. He said it would make him very happy. And at the moment, pleasing my husband also makes me happy. So here I am."

Her gentle giggle tinkled softly. I smile in response.

"I totally understand." I keep my voice low to match hers. "All newly-weds are like that."

"Newly-weds," she says the words as if she'd rolling them around on her tongue.

"I can't believe I'm enjoying having that label attached to me." A frown creases her oval face for the briefest moment before disappearing.

"Here, let me pour the tea." She leans over and tips steaming amber liquid from the small porcelain tea pot into the white china cups set on the silver tray.

When she eventually straightens with a cup and saucer in hand, I take it as my cue to start the questions.

"The readers want to know about your background. Tell us a little about you."

She takes a sip before returning the cup and saucer to the polished mahogany solid wood coffee table.

"I was born in a small town not far from Freetown in Sierra Leone," she starts off. "I had a pretty good childhood growing up, I guess. For a long time I was the only child, until my brother was born when I was about ten. The age gap meant I was always the big sister and he was always the baby of the house. But all that changed during the war."

Her voice sounds husky and she avoids my gaze. Then she pulls out a sheet of tissue from the box on the table. I take a sip of my sweet Chai tea, allowing her time to get her composure back.

"I promised Benjamin I wouldn't make you cry." I go for a joke. "I would hate to disappoint him. Let's move on to a different question. How did you meet your husband?"

Her eyes light up.

"Now, that is quite a story. I'll give you the short version."

She pauses as she sips from her cup.

"About a year ago, Lora, my best friend, and I stumbled across this nightclub in Soho where we met Chris. You know Christopher Star, don't you, Benjamin's best friend and co-owner of Moss Star Security?"

I nod my head.

"Anyway, Lora had dared me to chat up the first man that we bumped into. It was Christopher. Luckily he was a gentleman. He took my number and called me the next day. Then he took me out to dinner a couple of times. At the time I wasn't looking for a serious relationship and Chris is as laid back as they come. Then he took me to a party where I met Ben."

"Was it love at first sight?"

Her gentle laughter is warm.

"Let's just say it was lust at first sight. Benjamin has this intensity about him...He looked at me like he could see right through to my soul. And that scared me. I didn't want anyone seeing how damaged I truly was. So when Chris told me Ben fancied me, I simply turned around and walked out."



More from this interview next time. If you can't wait, pick up a copy of SCARS for what happened next in their story.

In the meantime, leave me a comment. Would you like me to interview Benjamin? Do you have a question you'd like him to answer? Ask the questions and I'll put them to Benjamin.

For every question he answers, the person who provided the question will receive a FREE copy of Secrets, Passion Shields book 2 when it releases later this year. (One copy per person)



So get asking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. I love to read them.